The excitement is growing as we are all getting ready to start another school year! I am so blessed to get to be a small part of several districts. They will be celebrating the opportunity to bring staff back and help them prepare for the up and coming school year. We all know there are certain things that you have to cover with your staff, but what else should we think about? An outstanding superintendent told me last year that he felt it was important to spend time at these back to school trainings to “build relationships” with all staff. Remind them of their “why” and let them know how important they are to their district! After doing this last year, he felt they had their best school year yet!
There are so many things you can do on your own! If you want or need some ideas, please get a hold of me! I will share! It is important to have your staff ready to go!
I am in the process of writing a book from my roots but also tying these thoughts into staff, student, and business trainings!
Lessons from the Northside Market
My parents told me that I was 3 years old when they bought the Northside Market. So I practically grew up in that grocery store because they ran it for 25 years. These were days before babysitters so I was just part of the store. You have to understand when they describe a grocery store as a mom and pop’s; the Northside Market was truly a mom and pops. My mom was the checker and the bookkeeper and my dad was the butcher and whatever else was needed. Most of the time we had one employee along with my brother Jerry, until he went to college. My brother was 7 years older than me, so I was left to work at the store after he left. We all just jumped in and helped! There were three grocery stores in a town of 1000 people.
Northside Market Mission Statement before Mission Statements!
- A family that serves with a smile!
The book and trainings are going to be centered around “6 Lesson’s from the Northside Market!” I am going to share three of those lessons and a little bit about them! It is important to understand this is a process, not a program! A sustainable process! Here are 3 of the 6 lessons.
6 Lessons from the Northside
- Have a passion for what you do, but understand your purpose!
- Understanding your culture.
- How we learn to survive, one generation passing down what it has learned to the next!
- Unwritten rules!
- Is it something we can predict and control, or does it control us?
- What is your “Purpose?”
- How do your values play into your purpose!
- Your -“Why?”
- It all starts with trust!
- Trust starts with building relationships – and building relationships is spelled “Time!”
- Slow down in order to speed up!
- Listen, don’t just hear!
- See don’t just look!
- Intentional Recognition. (Not going to happen unless you do something intentional to make it happen)
- List who you are going to recognize this week and how!
- Accountability partner! (Two heads are better than one!)
- Make it a habit.
- Take advantage of every moment and be early!
- If you are early, you are never late!
- Take the time to do it right!
- Customer time.
- Be available when they need you the most.
- Get something done early!
For information or to get a hold of me please check out joecolesconsulting.com